SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and it’s a very important matter that you should know about if you want your website to be successful and have a lot of visitors.
What is SEO?
When you search something on Google or any other search engine, it shows you a list of websites and when you scroll down it might even have more than 10 pages of results. But which websites do you click on? probably only the first five websites give you the answer you are looking for. That’s why you won’t even go for the other websites that are lower on that page, let alone other pages. When you have a website, you want it to be the top result of search engines because of the reason we just mentioned it. If your website doesn’t come on the first page of search engine results, you’ll probably don’t get the number of visits you are looking for. SEO is the process of designing your website the way the search engines show them as the top result.
How do search engines work?
Search engines do a lot of activities in order to show us the best results. Here are some of these activities:
- Crawling: A process in which a crawler or spider visits different web pages and analyzes information for indexing. Spider or crawler is a program that does this process.
- Indexing: After the crawling process, the data about different pages will be saved in databases. According to that data, the search engines detect what every page is about. When a page is indexed, the search engines will show them in their results for related searches.
- Processing: When somebody searches something on the search engines, the processor matches the search with correct answers from the database.
- Calculating Relevancy: In the processing step, the searched word or phrase might be found on different pages. In the calculating relevancy step, it will compare each page with the searched word to see which one is the best result.
- Retrieving Result: Chooses the best result and shows it to the searcher.
Some search engines like Google and Yahoo change their algorithms frequently. So, any changes in the ranking of your website are because of changes in these algorithms.
What are On-Page and Off-Page in SEO?
There are two main ways to optimize your website:
- On-Page SEO: Creating good content, choosing appropriate keywords and placing them well, choosing the best titles and etc.
- Off-Page SEO: using promoting methods like exchanging links and etc.
There are two main techniques for SEO: 1. White hat SEO 2. Black hat SEO. In our next post, we are going to explain these two techniques.
Hope you enjoyed this post if you did, visit our blog for more.